Updated: 31 August 2020 (Information without guarantee for correctness and completeness)
Entry rules may change at short notice. You can find the latest announcements on the Hungarian government website
From 1 September
Foreigners will not be allowed to enter Hungary unless they hold a permanent residence permit or a permit allowing them to stay in Hungary for at least 90 days, and can present their documents to the authorities at the border. Foreigners travelling with a family member who is a Hungarian citizen or resident should also be allowed entry.
The following categories can also enter Hungary without being subject to
- those crossing the border in freight traffic,
- persons holding diplomatic or a diplomatic service passport
or a service passport for seamen,
- persons reporting to entry holding a private passport or
other travel document for the purpose of official visit (the purpose of
official visit shall be proved with documents),
- those providing satisfactory proof while entering Hungary
that they have undergone COVID-19 infection within 6 months prior to
reporting to entry.
Transiting through Hungary is allowed
You must be able to prove your destination, the reason you are travelling and that you are able to transit to your final destination. Throughout the transit you can only use specified routes, dedicated petrol and rest stations and specific border crossing points.
It is also possible to apply to the authorities for an exemption to enter Hungary in a further set of specific circumstances. To enter on this basis, you must gain permission in advance of travelling. You will need to show that you are travelling to Hungary for:
- court proceedings,
- business activities justified by central government,
demonstrated with a letter of invitation issued by an administrative
body, an independent regulatory body or an autonomous public
- accessing health care with a referral,
- studying or taking an exam, with certification from an
- travelling to the point of departure for cargo-related
- participation in family events, e.g. marriage, baptism,
- care of a relative,
- participation in a sporting, cultural or church event of
major international importance,
- any other justifiable reason.
You should apply for an exemption in advance using the online form on the police website. While the forms are in the Hungarian, you may complete your submission in Hungarian or English.